Subspecific information monotypic species. Penguins: Natural History 17. RANGE MAP The southern rockhopper subspecies breeds on the Falkland Islands and in southern Chile and southern Argentina. Northern Rockhopper colonies are limited to a very narrow range on the South Atlantic island groups of Tristan da Cunha (Middle and Inaccessible Islands), Gough Island, and the Indian Ocean Islands of St. Paul and Amsterdam. The Northern Rockhopper Penguin is found on S Atlantic islands on Tristan da Cunha and Gough islands, and there are other populations in S Indian Ocean on Amsterdam and St Paul islands. Northern Rockhopper Penguin A northern rockhopper penguin. Foreign names . Tristan da Cunha, comprising the islands Tristan da Cunha, Inaccessible, Nightingale, Middle, and nearby Gough island in the South Atlantic are a globally important breeding site for the Northern Rockhopper penguin, Eudyptes moseleyi, supporting approximately 85% of the world population while the remaining 15% are found on Amsterdam and St Paul Islands in the Indian Ocean. Sphenisciforme Order – Spheniscidae Family. Rockhopper Penguins are the smallest penguin in the world. Tristan da Cunha, comprising the islands Tristan da Cunha, Inaccessible, Nightingale, Middle, and nearby Gough island in the South Atlantic are a globally important breeding site for the Northern Rockhopper penguin, Eudyptes moseleyi, supporting approximately 85% of the world population while the remaining 15% are found on … Eudyptes chrysocome breeds on islands located in the South Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans, ranging from 46º S in the South Atlantic and South Indian Oceans to Macquarie Island at 54ºS in the South Pacific Ocean (a total of 319,163 breeding pairs in 2010; Baylis et al. INTRODUCTION: Formerly a subspecies of the Southern Rockhopper Penguin, the Northern Rockhopper Penguin is today considered a full species.Both species have similar appearance but the latter is larger and has longer and denser yellow crest. A penguin’s habitat ranges from the bottom of the globe in Antarctica and surrounding islands north to the equator. Their breeding range is restricted to only seven islands within this area. Rockhopper penguin, either of two species of crested penguins (genus Eudyptes, order Sphenisciformes) characterized by its red eyes, a relatively thin stripe of upright yellow feathers extending from the bill to the back of the head above each eye (the superciliary stripe), and a crest of black feathers that stands upright on the top of the … Northern Rockhopper Penguin (Eudyptes moseleyi) is a species of bird in the Spheniscidae family.